Question Queue


Business Entity / Tax Identification Number

Node #3


Has your business industry been established and registered with the state and federal government? In order to conduct any type of business in Spotsylvania County, you will need to establish your Business Entity and obtain a Tax Identification Number (EIN) with the Internal Revenue Service if you intend to sell taxable products.

An Entity is a legally registered unique business such as an "S-Corp, C-Corp, LLC, Sole-Proprietor, etc". Once you create this Entity, it will need unique numbers assigned to it from different governing bodies.

There are up to two different tax identification numbers that are commonly referred to as a “Tax ID Number” that your entity is required to operate in addition to special licensing, permits, permissions, registrations, authorizations that may need to be granted by departments and agencies within a locality.

1) Federal Identification (Employer Identification #) – Form SS-4

This number is used to identify the tax accounts of employers, sole proprietors, corporations, partnerships, estates, trusts and other entities. You will need an EIN if you have employees, a Keogh plan, operate your business as a corporation or partnership or file a tax returns for either employment, excise or Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms. Visit or apply online at

2) Virginia Sales Tax

This is a State requirement for Virginia. If you will be buying wholesale or selling wholesale and /or retail, more than likely you will need to file Form R-1 with State. Please contact the Virginia Dept of Taxation at 804-367-8037, or register online at

When reporting sales tax each month to the Department of Taxation, please use Spotsylvania County's locality Code 51177. This information is used to allocate local sales revenue to Spotsylvania County in which your business is physically located.

Do you already have your business entity established?
Normally when you establish your business entity, you obtain an Employer Identification Number (EIN) by filling out a Form SS-4. You may also need a Sales and Use Tax License from the Virginia Dept of Taxation. You don't have to have an entity yet to use this website, but you will need to have an entity created in order to begin doing business legally, and before the county can issue you any permits to operate your business.

Related Links